The Ground Reality
1. Gaza is the most densely populated area on the face of the earth. It houses around 1.5 million people. More than half of this population is under 15 years of age. 70% of the population of Gaza is extremely poor and depends on foreign aid. 50% of the population is malnourished.
2. 80% of people in Gaza are from families of those Palestinians who were expelled from their ancestral lands (now called Israel) in 1948.
3. Israel has effectively sealed Gaza by blocking the ground, sea, and air ways. Gaza has turned into a 30 by 15 square mile prison, currently under bombardment from above and across. Due to the economic blockade for the last 18 months, food and medical supplies have run out. Until recently, before the current Israeli attacks started on December 27, the people in Gaza were forced to use underground tunnels to Egypt to get these basic supplies. Now even those passages have been blocked due to the bombardment.
4. Israel has been bombing Gaza non-stop for the last 10 days targeting schools, universities, hospitals, playgrounds, homes, markets, police stations and other civilian infrastructure. The intensity and scope of the Israeli aggression is worst in 40 years.
5. Israel has killed over 460 Palestinians in the last 10 days and injured close to 2000. That is more than the number of Israelis killed in the last 7 years. Many are missing and unaccounted for because of the collapsed buildings.